Sunday, December 19, 2010

Crab Cakes

Hi, Chef Sandy Krebs here!
I have had guests in my restaurants rave about my Crab Cakes.  To tell you the truth, I don’t really understand all the hoopla about Crab Cakes.  I love them just as much as the next guy, but making them is not rocket science; I mean any kind of scientist could do it.  But seriously folks, the trick to a good Crab Cake is to use mostly Crab.  You only use enough binding (bread crumbs and egg) to hold them together and the seasoning must be subtle.  I know subtle is a change of pace for me, Queen of Garlic, Baroness of Big Bold Flavors, but sometimes subtle is called for, and this is one of those times.
I started using egg whites instead of whole eggs because I always have a lot of whites left over as a byproduct of using the yolks only to make crème brulee and sauces.  I found that this makes for a much lighter flavor and texture than using the whole egg.  Also, if you have Panko bread crumbs around that makes them lighter as well, but really, any kind of bread crumbs will do.  If you have left over seafood that you need to use or there is a good deal on something at the market don’t feel the need to confine this recipe to crab.  Switch it up, have some fun.  I particularly like using smoked salmon.  And one last note, speaking of rocket science, this isn’t, but I thought I’d mention it anyways.  Be sure to pick through the crab meat well, as there is nothing worse than eating a nice light crab cake and biting down on shell or cartilage.  O.k., you’re right, there are worse things, but it can ruin your Crab Cakes if you skip this step.
As always, leave a comment or let me know how they turned out.



Crab Cakes

1 lb. Crab Meat
4 Egg Whites
2 Tbsps. Bread Crumbs
2 Tbsps. Mayonaise
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tbsp. Chopped Chives
Louisiana Hot Sauce (or other hot sauce) to taste.
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together.  Form Cakes.  Brown in Skillet.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of my Favorite Photos