Monday, January 3, 2011

Lemon Confit

Hi, Chef Sandy Krebs here!
I seem to be into preserving things lately. My last recipe was Lox (cured salmon) now this one is for Lemon Confit (preserved lemons). I don't know if there is some deep psychological meaning here, or if they are just both good easy recipes with many applications in the home and commercial kitchen. Lemon Confit (pronounced con-fee) can be used in baking, salads, to garnish fish or veal or lamb. I particularly like chopping it with fresh parsley and finishing my Osso Buco with it.


Lemon Confit

5 cups Kosher Salt
5 tablespoons Sugar
6 Lemons- washed well and quartered



In a large bowl mix the salt and sugar. Toss the lemons with half the mixture. Pour a little of the mixture into a clean one quart glass jar. Place the lemons in the jar a few at a time covering with the remaining salt mixture as you go. Seal jar and refrigerate the lemons for at least two weeks. When you are ready to use, take out as many as you need and place the rest back in the frig; they will keep in this salt mixture for months. Remove the flesh from the rind. Discard the flesh keeping the rind only. Rinse and pat dry. You now have Lemon Confit. You will be surprised how much the curing changes the character of the lemon. Once you taste it I am sure you will be able to use your imagination (or Google) to come up with any number of creative uses for it.
As always, please feel free to leave comments or ask question and do let me know how yours turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of my Favorite Photos