Thursday, January 13, 2011

FRRO, Making India a Greener Place!

Hi There,
Chef Sandy Krebs here! Well, yesterday I went to the FRRO (foreign residence registration office). I would like to say that it was a unique experience in my life, but it wasn’t. It was just bureaucratic B.S. Indian style. I was able to accomplish my registration in one day with one visit which, considering the stories I’ve heard, was quite remarkable. The weather was pleasant, so being patient was easy. I just kind of got into the carnival atmosphere of it all. There were people there from every race, color and creed all for the same purpose. What was that purpose you ask? Well apparently the Indian government needs something to do with all those pre-civil war computers and antique ledgers, because that is what they are using at this office that processes hundreds, maybe thousands of people a day! We were all there for the purpose of making the world a greener place. On days that I can help the Indian government keep a computer monitor the size of a small vehicle out of the land fill, I feel good about being me!
I’ve met an American journalist, Jen, who is doing a piece on expats living in India. She met me at the FRRO, but was promptly chased away by cops saying, “No pictures, no pictures!” I can see why. If word ever got out about all those old ledgers that they are using at the FRRO the place would be overrun by antique dealers!
Since I can’t treat you to any pictures inside the FRRO, this is a picture of a guy selling OJ right outside the office. Eat your heart out Orange Julius!

3 comments:

  1. ooohhh.....
    keep sharing!

    :-)

    i love this look into Things There...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I miss your pesto. Could you post the recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!
    could you post
    some more adventures,
    please?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Some of my Favorite Photos